"Sit Still, My Daughter"

"Sit Still, My Daughter"

Ruth 3:18 Then said she, Sit still, my daughter, until thou know how the matter will fall: for the man will not be in rest, until he have finished the thing this day. 



"Sit still, my daughter!" Just sit calmly still!
Nor deem these days - these waiting days as ill.
The One Who loves thee best, Who plans thy way,
Hath not forgotten thy need today;
And, if He waits, 'tis sure He waits to prove
To thee, His tender child, His heart's love. "Sit still, my daughter." Just sit calmly still,
Nor move one step, not even one until
His way hath opened. Then, ah, then how swift thy feet
Thy inner being, ah, then how strong.
And waiting days not counted too long. "Sit still, my daughter." Just sit calmly still,
Thou longest much to know thy dear Lord's will
While anxious thoughts steal their way 
Carrodingly within, because of His delay-
Persuade thyself in simple faith to rest
That He, Who know and loves will do the best. "Sit still, my daughter." Just sit calmly still.
What higher service couldst thou for Him fill?
'Tis hard! Ah yes! But choicest things must cost.
For lack of loosing all how much is lost!
'Tis hard, 'tis true! But then - He giveth grace
To count the hardest spot the sweetest place.

-J.D. Smith

I am in a waiting phase in several areas of my life and as crazy as it sounds, waiting and sitting still is one of the hardest things to do in your Christian walk! It's a puzzlement with our society always looking for opportunities to rest and relax, and when God gives us that time in our spiritual lives when it's "Hands off now, it's my turn to work!" You would think we would gladly hand over the reigns and heave a sigh of relief! But instead our usual response it to play tug of war with God. God gave me a great word picture the other day as I was praying....
He brought to mind this picture of me on His operating table and after He had removed the sin and problem from my life spiritually, I wanted to jump off that operating table and be on my way. God had to keep telling me, "Be still, Justine!" Be still and know that I am God! (Psalm 46:10) I'm not done yet! 
You see, as I laid back down on God's operating table. I replied, But God, I thought the surgery was over! God said, Yes, it is, but I have to stitch you back up - now Be Still, so I can line everything up right so you will heal as if there was never a problem there! (Come, and let us return unto the Lord: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up. - Hosea 6:1)
So, with some dismay that God's process was actually going to take TIME, I submitted to Him and repented for not being still so He could finish His workings.
The next day while reading and praying again, the Lord had a continuation of this story for me. He said, "Once you have stopped fighting me and are still enough for me to bind up your wounds, as you lay here and let me help you, now I can talk to you and I can tell you all the assurances I have for you, all the promises, the next step I want you to take in life, the direction and purpose that I have for you that I couldn't tell you before because I had to keep telling you to Be Still! I love you so much and I want you to leave here completely healed and whole in body, mind, and spirit. 
That word picture from the Lord was so powerful to me and such a blessing and encouragement for me to just let God do what He needs to do instead of trying to force Him to do what I want or think He should. Sometimes it's so hard to see that about ourselves, but it's where true healing is in Christ Jesus.
I hope this helps you today and brings you closer to the Lord Who loves you and wants to help you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Haynes Family Prayer Letter - October 2018

Senses Secured

Self Discovery